I enjoy crafting words
and writing down my impressions, insights, and feelings. A good story is like a
good dish. When you manage to have the right balance and quantity of fresh ingredients
and blend them together skillfully, the result is appealing and more than a bit
palatable. However, words are like
knives. They can also be razor-sharp and, if used carelessly, can inflict quite
a bit of damage. That is why I do not like emails. Emails invite carelessness.
They are conceived for quick exchanges with others and leave little time to
weigh the impact they may have on them. Email messages are, therefore, often
like undercooked and vile-tasting concoctions. They can even inadvertently be very
offensive. I recently sent an email to a large group of people and forgot to
put the recipients in bcc. I got an irate response from one of them. I have
since added a sticky note on my computer screen as a reminder: “Caution –
razor-sharp instrument!”
Saturday, 22 May 2021
Caution: Razor-sharp Instrument!
A few months ago, we bought
a new set of knives to replace the old dilapidated one that we had for over 20
years. Within seconds of using the chef’s knife, I had managed to inflict a
wound on my index finger. The bulk of the damage was mainly to my pride as I
chastised myself for being so careless. Razor-sharp blades are indeed
unforgiving to the unwary. I have used knives most of my life and was even an
assistant chef for a year at the Ottawa General Hospital when they still had a
kitchen staff to prepare all the meals for their patients. I should have known
better. I am a decent cook, even though Diane is the real chef in the family.
I produce the humdrum everyday meals, but when she prepares a dish it always considerably
surpasses my cuisine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I previously spoke about “my gang” . I know that the term has a deep history of the “us against them” mentality, the “insider and outsider” ...
-
J’ai longtemps pensé, comme bien d’autres le font, que cette « bénédiction » du Père était une conséquence de mes « bonnes actions », une ré...
-
Mon gendre Stephen est un grand amateur de pêche et de chasse. C’est de son père qu’il a reçu cette passion pour ces activités en pleine nat...
-
I’ve had many excellent theology teachers, but the best ones were my children. When they were young, they would often pick dandelions and ...
-
I love telling stories, but I also enjoy hearing or reading a good story. Father Ron Rolheiser is a master storyteller and that is one of th...
-
I’m thinking of my grandson Victor. I can see him barreling at full speed in his back yard or in his house, for the sheer pleasure of doing ...

No comments:
Post a Comment